Hike to Preikestolen - the Pulpit Rock
Pulpit Rock or Preikestolen is a mountain plateau that hangs 604 meters above sea level and the Lysefjord. This is a destination that simply must be experienced.
The Pulpit Rock-bus with several daily departures between Tau and the Pulpit Rock parking between 16th of April and 30th September 2016. From the pulpit rock parking you can follow well marked trail to one of Norways most popular hiking destination; the Pulpit Rock. Join our good and flexible transport to ensure a great experience.
Tickets include return journey from Stavanger to Tau with the Tau-ferry and from Tau to the Pulpit Rock Parking with the the Pulpit Rock bus. Note: tickets are valid outbound and inbound within the same day. You can choose the departure that suits you, but please note that the passengers are served "first come, first go" - if the bus is full, it is not long to wait for the next departure.
If you want to travel up and do the hike, continue to Trolltunga or sleep over and take the Tide-bus / ferry back the next day, you need a one-way ticket from Stavanger to Preikestolen parking place. You can buy one-way tickets on the ferry and then on the Tide-bus when in Stavanger.
· Optional transport on the return within the same day, please notice time of departure for the return journey here.
More information about the tour
Pulpit Rock, or Preikestolen in Norwegian, is the most famous tourist attraction in the Stavanger region. Lonely Planet has also elected the Pulpit Rock as one of the worlds most breathtaking viewing platforms, read more. It towers 604 meters above the Lysefjord. The approximately 25 x 25 meters flat mountain plateau was probably formed by melting frost 10,000 years ago.
On a fantastic hike from the Pulpit cabin you can enjoy the wild and beautiful nature right up to the Pulpit Rock. The terrain is hilly with an altitude difference of 350 m. You will find swimming and picnic areas along the trail. The hike takes approx. 4 hours back and forth. A total distance of approx. 6 km.
We recommend that you bring enough food and drink. Please note that the tour requires hiking shoes and hiking clothing.
You travel by boat from Fiskepirterminalen in Stavanger to Tau. From Tau, the trip continues by bus to the Pulpit Rock cabin. The bus returns to Tau and Stavanger several times a day. You have an open return journey. The bus driver can also inform you about the return hours from the Pult Rock cabin. From Tau, you take the ferry back to Stavanger.
For more information please have a look at our timetable and prices.
Please download schedule/timetable.
ROUND TRIP FROM STAVANGER
Adult NOK 300
Children under 16 NOK 150
Tau - Preikestolen or opposite direction
Adult NOK 100 (one way) NOK 180 (roundtrip)
Children under 16 NOK 75 (one way) NOK 100 (round trip)
Preikestolen camping - Preikestolen parking or opposite direction
Adult NOK 80 (one way) NOK 100 (roundtrip)
Children under 16 NOK 50 (one way) NOK 80 (round trip)
Please note there is no student or senior discount for this tour.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please bring TWO copies of your ticket/travel documents for validation of your journey.
A taste of what you may have in store
Follow David Spinx as he takes the trip up to the pulpit Rock.
· Ferry from Stavanger to Tau, coach from Tau to the Pulpit Rock, roundtrip
· Please note: No seat reservation. If full Coach please use next departure
· Please see schedule for departure times
· We kindly inform that the hike is non-guided and at hikers own risk. Approx. 4 hrs. hiking.
· We recommend good hiking shoes and warm clothing
· Bring water and packed lunch
· Optional transport on the return, please notice time of departure on the return on our webpage
- Book online - there is no guarantee for availability without an online booking.
- All reservations are binding. No refund if you decide not to go. Exceptions if the tour is cancelled by the operator (Tide).
- If the tour is cancelled by the operator (Tide) and you have made your reservations online we will inform you as soon as possible about the cansellation.
- Note: your ticket is valid outbound and inbound on the departure of your choice within the same day.
- We have several departures and will serve our passengers "first come, first go". If the bus is full, it is not long to wait for the next departure. See departure times here.
- The Travel Document is your ticket and you need to bring TWO PRINTET COPIES of your tavel document for validation on departure. If you do not bring your Travel Document in printwith you, you need to pay on the ferry and bus.
Map and weather data
View map over the area
Check the weather before you go.